Vaginal discharge is a much discussed matter about female health. It is important to know that vaginal discharge is perfectly normal and it is more of a housekeeping function. The female reproductive system is comprised of many bacterial growths. It is necessary to keep vagina clean of dead cells and bacteria and discharge serves this purpose. In most cases there is no need to panic as this condition is normal.
The amount and color of the discharge can vary depending on the physical health and menstrual cycle in women. You may experience more discharge when you are breast feeding, sexually aroused or ovulating. The smell also varies if you are pregnant or not maintaining the right hygiene. There is no need to panic if vaginal discharge is normal however if the discharge color or smell is too unusual accompanied with itching or burning sensation in vagina then you can be suffering from infections.
Causes of abnormal vaginal discharge
There are various factors which can affect the normal bacteria balance in the vagina leading to problems with the discharge. The most common factors which bring in these changes include:
- Steroid or Antibiotic use
- Bacterial vaginosis- bacterial infection usually found in women with multiple sex partners or pregnant women
- Birth control pills
- Cervical cancer
- STDs like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea
- Cosmetic products like scented soaps, lotions or bubble bath
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Pelvic infection after surgery
- Parasitic infection more commonly Trichomoniasis
- Vaginal atrophy
- Yeast infections
These factors can vary depending on your location and lifestyle you maintain.
The vaginal infection is common and you should not hesitate in consulting a doctor. However it is essential to note that you should not neglect any kind of abnormal discharge as the condition can get worse with time. If you are feeling abdomen pain, itching in vagina or irregular menstruation immediately seek medical advice.
The treatment of the abnormal vaginal discharge problem depends on the factor causing it. Yeast infections can be easily treated with antifungal medications available as gels while the bacterial infections are treated using antibiotic creams and pills. Only your doctor can advise which the best treatment for your condition is.
However on your personal level you should keep some precautions, like:
- Take care of vaginal hygiene and keep it clean and dry
- Use mild soap and warm water while cleaning vagina
- Avoid using products like scented soap and feminine sprays
- Preferably wear cotton underpants and avoid tight clothing in the area
- Do not use any cream or medication for vaginal problems without proper consultation
- Be extra careful of the hygiene during menstrual cycles
- Avoid too much alcohol, smoking and carbonated drinks
These are some important precautions to avoid vaginal problems from arising. Anyway, vaginal discharge is not a critical condition. You need not to panic as any kind of vaginal infection can be easily treated.
Tampa Abortion Clinic. Dr. James S. Pendergraft opened the Orlando Women's Center in March 1996 to provide a full range of health care for women, including abortions, physical examinations, family planning and counseling. Abortion Clinic.